|Listed on National Registry for the Preservation of Historical Landmarks.
THE MORNEAULT HOUSE
Morneault House-circa 1855-57
Une des plus anciennes maisons de la vallee originairement situee a Grand Isle, Maine
Cette maison a toutes les caracteristiques de la structure acadienne; y compris les traits nautiques. Les murs sont caleutres de chaux et de lin braye. La maison Morneau a egalement servi de bureau de poste au du 20e siecle.
This house is one of the oldest in the valley with its original location being in Grand Isle, Maine.
The house has many characteristics of acadian architecture in that it incorporates nautical features in its construction such as the "ship's knees" used for support. Walls are caulked with unburnt lime and flax. The Morneault House has also served as a post office in the early 1900's.
Built in 1857 and donated by Mr. & Mrs. Addis Beaupre of Grand Isle. It was once the home of Mrs. Beaupre's Great Grandfather, a prosperous lumberman, Abel Morneault. The dwelling was moved 16 miles from Grand Isle, in the summer of 1975.
The interior walls have been exposed to show that the house is built of squared logs and has been caulked like a boat. The tow of flax with unburnt lime, was used as well as buckwheat seed. Several other nautical features were used. This is due to the fact that Acadians were fisherman and boat builders, who became the carpenters of the new settlements. The boats they built were made to withstand stress from outside pressure of the waves. Note: The beams are slightly narrower at their ends than in the middle, as it was done on a ship.
Ship knees on the decks of the boats can be seen in the second story affixed between the joists and the roof. They were attached to the building with large bolts. The building was insulated with birch bark at one time.
The shipbuilding features are unique to the Acadian culture and can be found in many other early structures in both the United States and Canada.
The building may have been one story originally, the second being added as Mr. Morneault's wealth and number of children increased but we are not certain that this is the case.
The first floor was originally all one room, later it was divided into four rooms, the kitchen being at the right rear of the house. The "Armoire", or large wooden storage closet on the right rear wall was built by the elder Morneault.
A quilting stand (see picture) is on loan from Mrs. Mathilda Parent Derosier, which dates back to the 1800's. Quilts were sewn by hand and the frame made it easier to do. The spinning wheels (see photo) were made in Van Buren.
The stove (see photo) was donated by Cyr and Carlene Parent and weighs about 200-300lbs.
[Virtual Tour of Acadia Village] [The Roy House]
[General Information] [Acadian Village Homepage]
Copyright© 1997 Acadian Village & Web Impressions
Back to The Maine Link homepage